Jammed Throttle - Nissan Patrol DX 4.2 litre

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:31
ThreadID: 26017 Views:3072 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
About three weeks ago I posted a query on this site re my then brand new Nissan Patrol DX occasionally 'idling' at about 2000 rpm.

The cause turned out to be far more serious than thought. I feel I need to pass this on in case others are affected.

The problem came to a head when driving into Broome a week or so ago. Was travelling in 5th gear at about 100 km/hr. When came to the 60 km/hr sign I lifted my foot off the throttle - only to find it seemingly jammed open.

I did the only thing possible - seriously heavy braking and switching off the ignition.

When I came to restart all was well, but on my way to the Nissan repair shop the problem re-occured.

It was caused by the cable from the cruise-control being installed such that it was not tied to the main throttle cable. Beyond a certain throttle opening, and if the cruise control was not engaed) the slack cruise control cable would 'bell out' and snag itslef on part of the injector linkage. This would then the throttle open regardless.

When I contacted thhe Nissan dealer's service staff in Perth I had the impression this was not the first they had seen, or at least werre aware of.

The problem was seriously faulty installation. It is not an inherent fault of the cruise control itself.

May I suggest anyone with a cable actuated cruise control on a 4.2 litre Patrol check this out. (At minimum the two throttle cables (one main, the other cruise control) need cable ties to keep them tracking together.
Collyn Rivers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 13:29

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 13:29
Was it a factory cruise control (or Nissan-fitted CC)? If so, they are extremely remiss.
I think I know what you mean - I have an AP50 CC on my 4.2TD-T, but when I installed it, the problem you described was noticed as a fault possibility, so I arranged the two cables so they couldn't get tangled. Had no probs in 100,000km as a result.
cheers, Gerry
AnswerID: 127622

Follow Up By: Tessysdad - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 18:32

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 18:32
Yes Gerry, I too anticipated a possible problem down the track when I installed mine and so made sure it was right from the begining, and I'm no mechanic. Makes you wonder about so called professional installers, if indeed that was the case with Collyn.
Happy camping,
Mike.
FollowupID: 382221

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 17:22

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 17:22
G'Day Colllyn,

My parents had an aftermarket cruise control fitted to their Camry some years back, they returned it to the installer so often for the very same reason. When pushing the accelerator past a certain point it would jam and require the ignition to be switched off to stop the car. I ended up removing the connection to the throttle, seemed the only way to keep them safe.

regards

Rolande
AnswerID: 127648

Reply By: cmilton54 - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 19:03

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 19:03
Had a mate who has a Magna 4 cly with aftermarket cruise fitted, he has same problem with his jamming on at 100kms hr very hair raising experience
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 127658

Follow Up By: cmilton54 - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 19:04

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 19:04
ment had same not has same
FollowupID: 382231

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 20:29

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 20:29
Also had a similar experience, but with a commode I bought 2nd hand, with an aftermarket cruise control.

I had the distinct feeling the car was down on power, so took it in to friendly mechanic to check it all out. They tested it and found no faults, but thought the same - low on power.

Mechanic took it for a drive round the streets, and in desperation stamped his foot on the throttle. That did it! the cruise cable joiner jumped the snag and snagged the bracket.

Stuck on full throttle in an automatic!

They were very nice about it, and didn't even charge me his laundry bill!

But the real nice thing was that the little old lady from the country, I bought the car from, had never used more than half throttle for all the car's life!

Ken
AnswerID: 127668

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 21:44

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2005 at 21:44
Collyn,

That's very nice of you to warn others, sad that the situation come to this though with your brand new car and all. Am glad it worked out OK for you though.
Lets hope thats the end of your glitches for this vehicle, happy motoring.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 127685

Reply By: angler - Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:06

Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:06
I feel sure that all those dealer fitted command cruise controls were recalled and removed from every vehicle. The owners were given back they cost of the unit and the installation costs. This very same problem was on the caravan forum a while back. Apparently the best cruise control is an "acutron" and it's way to expensive for what it realy is.
It should in fact be much much cheaper as it is fully drive by wire and does not have the amount of engineering required by the ones fitted to the nissans. (and others)

I would really like one in my patrol, and only much saving will enable me to get it.

Pooley
AnswerID: 127725

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 17:34

Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 17:34
angler, it was the 3lt ones that where recalled, not the 4.2.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 382403

Follow Up By: angler - Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 19:32

Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 19:32
Sorry about that , It sounded exactly like the ones installed in the 3 litre.
FollowupID: 382416

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:48

Thursday, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:48
Joc45
The Patrol was ordered with the cruise control as part of the deal. The Nissan main dealer arranged for its professional installation (in Perth) before the car was delivered to me in Broome.

I am reluctant to name or blame as Nissan and the cruise control maker were aghast at what happened and took action to resolve the problem within minutes of my contacting them.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 127740

Sponsored Links